Subject: Re: More VS2000 booting problems
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/1997 14:40:16
On Thu, 29 May 1997, Boris Gjenero wrote:

> This is wrong.  The file should be named <ethernet address of
> VS2000>.SYS,
> for the above example "08002b07977e.SYS".  Note the leading zeros that
> ensure that each byte has two hex digits, and also note that hex digit
> letters are lowercase.  You can get the address from "mopd -d".

No, if he is specifying the filename "mopboot" after doing a boot /100
esa0 then the file should be called MOPBOOT.SYS, if he is not and just
doing a default boot then it should be the ethernet address.

> I don't think that there is any need to have IP multicasting turned on
> in the kernel.  However, if you do want to actually boot a VS2000 you
> will need Reverse ARP (RARP) in the kernel and you will also need to put
> the RARP entry in the table in the kernel with rarp(8).  You'll also
> need to have rpc.bootparamd configured and running, and you'll at least
> want a root filesystem exported over NFS if you want to see NetBSD
> running.

Yes there is. Mopd requires multicasting, I have also heard that doing
ifconfig eth0 allmulti also works, but I  only ever  tested it with
multicasting on.

Cheers
Karl

Karl Maftoum
Computer Engineering Student at the University of Canberra, Australia

Email: k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au