Subject: Re: VS3100/38 SCSI disk problem
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/1997 15:36:21
Anders Magnusson writes:
> > Oh... I didn't look, maybe there isn't a MI 53C80 driver yet.
> >
> > Look at sys/dev/ic/ for the lance or the esp driver, for an example of
> > a core driver, and at sys/arch/sparc/dev/I_THINK_esp.c, for a
> > frontend.
> >
> I think (without checking so much) that the problem is that the MI
> code wants to read 5380 registers while doing DMA transfers, which
> is illegal and causes the transfer to terminate. This is VS specific.

Nope. One of the reasons i choose sun3's driver as a porting base is
that either the obio or the vme variant is suffering from similiar
problems, thus it was rather easy to integrate this stuff.

IIRC the MI driver for 5380 is written from the same (group of)
people which have written the sun3 frontend. Thus the MI driver
is prepared for some/most of these difficulties. Handling of the
DMA engine is still very VS specific, but this has (almost) nothing
to do with the 5380 itself...

Ciao,
	bertram