Subject: Re: Success story + problems
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/23/1997 12:03:51
Hello,

> > The problem in my case isn't finding an MFM-disk.. It's finding a cable.
> > Why couldn't they use a "normal" (PC-style (please don't shoot me)) MFM
> > connector on the motherboard.
>
> *sigh* you ever see the MFM cable for a DEC Rainbow?  scary.  DEC has a long
> history of using "proprietary" cables in their machines.  things that are
> done solely to annoy people like us. :)

I have never seen a VS2000 MFM controller or cable.  What I know about the
BA23 cage is that it *IS* the same as on a standard PC.  You just have to
make sure that you use the connector *BEFORE* the twist.  Also, the drives
have to be set to ID#3 rather than ID#0

Betram, that RD54 works accesses now on the VAX, unfortunately it was dropped
in Passau running to catch the train and when I try to format it, it goes 11
minutes into the format before dying.

Does anybody know how to force format to complete, or if you can?  Also, how
much defective disk areas can be mapped around?

Regards

Andy Sporner