Subject: Re: Success story + problems
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/1997 10:09:56
>  > >  > > Do VAXstation 2000s actually have full SCSI support?
>  >
>  > >  > Yes. :)

There should have been more than one :-) on that.  The support isn't "full".

>  > > Actually, No.
>  > >
>  > > Only MFM for disk drives.

Right.

> ...uhh, so if there is a SCSI driver, how can you say that only MFM disks
> are supported?!

The "SCSI" port is only intended for TK50 drives.  I have personally witnessed
the successful connection of an RZ55 to this port, but the cable was scrambled
and the RZ55 roms had to be scrambled and in any case the Vaxstar could not
boot from it.  (After this RZ55 experiment, the hardware and the bodies of the
guilty parties were all airshipped to Area 51 and sealed in concrete.)  "Don't
go there."