Subject: Re: Good News for Boot Servers Running linux
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Enrik Berkhan <enrik@akk.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/1997 17:47:59
Hi again,

> So any explanation for why the whoami does eventually go through?  Does
> the unresolved arp entry disappear of its own accord at some point?

I tried it again. Actually, linux sends 8 arp request, increasing the
retry time to 1 minute after the first 4 packets. The bogus arp cache
entry disappears after about 4 1/2 minutes.

So the only explanation missing is why does this process start over
again after some time. Maybe only after the Vax crashes and a similar
retry scheme starts. I don't remember exactly.

Enrik
--
Heute im AKK. ;-)