Subject: Re: Success story + problems
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/1997 10:59:35
>   The '2000 has an NCR 5380-based SCSI host adapter on board.  It is
> not supported as a boot device by the system's ROM, DEC operating
> systems didn't support it for disk drives, and to my knowledge, DEC
> never actually admitted to it's existence.

Wrong!  It will boot TK50.  The VS2000 was another dec bounded system so
if you weren't using TK50 the SCSI ment nothing as there was nothing else
offered (or to offer!) at the time.  It was a year or two later they started
selling RZ-disks.

>   NetBSD, however, can indeed use that SCSI host adapter...for SCSI
> disks.

Provided it has it's own driver or the disk emulated a tk50!  The rom
support is limited due to code space (small roms) and most of it is console,
Mopboot (eithernet) and startup diags.

>   The '2000 also has an MFM controller.  It's supported by the boot
> ROM as a boot device, and by DEC operating systems for disks.  It is
> unrelated to the SCSI host adapter.

Correct.

Allison