Subject: Re: Net booting a MicroVAX 3100 (fwd)
To: None <"port-vax@netbsd.org"@vbormc.vbo.dec.com>
From: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 21-May-1997 1111 +0100 <carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/1997 12:01:34
"brianc@carpediem.com" "Brian D Chase" wrote:

>In my case, I'm running the kernel put together by Bertram on what is
>either a VS3100/30 or 40 -- I'm not really certain how to tell the
>difference when there isn't something actually printed on the front of the
>case. I did have a 38, as indicated by the VAXstation 3100 M38 name plate,
>but it didn't live long enough for me to get mopbooted.  Anyway, the
>kernel has been stable through various phases of the moon on my [30|40] so
>perhaps the good fortune is the result of alien friends?

To be 100% sure of what you have watch it when it boots:

KA410-A or KA410-B is a MicroVAX or VAXstation 2000. The only
  difference is the setting of a single jumper on the motherboard to tell it
  which it is supposed to behave as.

KA41-A,KA41-B is a MicroVAX 3100 Model 10/20. The -A variant is recognised
  by (some) OSes as intended for Multiuser, the -B is single user. No hardware
  differences here.

KA41-C is an Infoserver motherboard.

KA41-D, -E is a MicroVAX 3100 Model 10e/20e. This is a faster variant of
  the Model 10/20 (a mid-life kicker introduced round about 1992 IIRC).

KA42-A is the VAXstation 3100 Model 30/40, a CVAX-based workstation. Easily
  remembered trivia: approx 3.0 VUPs.

KA42-B is a VAXstation 3100 Model 38/48, a souped up VS3100 M30, approx
  3.8 VUPs (i.e.20%+ faster).

KA43-A is a VAXstation 3100 Model 76, a Rigel chip hacked onto the CVAX
  motherboard. Approx 7.6 VUPs (nice pattern here ...). Note that the M76
  comes in one case size only and does not share memory with the other
  MicroVAX 3100/VAXstation 3100s mentioned here. SCSI is built-in (the
  other VAXstations had a separate SCSI daughter board) and the floppy disk
  mounting hardware is different (the floppy from other VS3100s will work
  but you need a different bracket to get it in there).

The distinction between (e.g.) MicroVAX 3100 Model 10 and the Model 20 is
just the case size - the Model 20 is bigger and a bigger PSU and an extra
internal tray to mount drives on. All bits (motherboard etc.) are
interchangeable. Same goes for the VAXstation 3100 M30 and M40 etc.

Unlike the MicroVAX 2000 and VAXstation 2000 which are really the same beast
masquerading as two different animals, the MicroVAX 3100 and VAXstation 3100
series are two different animals - you cannot shove a graphics board into a
MicroVAX 3100 and end up with a VAXstation (although you can use a serial
console on the VAXstations and effectively have a "MicroVAX"). The internal
gubbins may be sufficiently similar that NetBSD for a KA42 will also support a
KA41 (and the messages I have seen on the list do tend to imply that that is
the case) but I have no technical manuals for any of the 3100s (not even part
numbers!) so I cannot really say.
I'm not too surprised about the M76 not booting NetBSD right now since it is
Rigel-based and not CVAX-based.

The later MicroVAXes (3100-30/40, 3100-80, 3100-90 etc.) are based on non-CVAX
designs (Mariah, Rigel and NVAX) as are the VAXstations (VLC, 4000-60, 4000-90
etc.) so I wouldn't expect NetBSD to support those (yet ...).

Antonio

Antonio Carlini                            Mail: carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com
DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation              Worton Grange, Reading, England