Subject: Re: Success story + problems
To: Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/1997 02:56:20
On May 20, you wrote:
> Oscar Oberg writes:
>  > On Tue, 20 May 1997, Brian D Chase wrote:
>  > > Do VAXstation 2000s actually have full SCSI support?
>  >
>  > Yes. :)
>
> Actually, No.
>
> Only MFM for disk drives.

  SCSI support for MFM disk drives.  That makes exactly zero sense.

  The '2000 has an NCR 5380-based SCSI host adapter on board.  It is
not supported as a boot device by the system's ROM, DEC operating
systems didn't support it for disk drives, and to my knowledge, DEC
never actually admitted to it's existence.

  NetBSD, however, can indeed use that SCSI host adapter...for SCSI
disks.

  The '2000 also has an MFM controller.  It's supported by the boot
ROM as a boot device, and by DEC operating systems for disks.  It is
unrelated to the SCSI host adapter.

                      -Dave McGuire
                       mcguire@neurotica.com