Subject: Re: Net booting a MicroVAX 3100
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/20/1997 19:02:46
Bertram,

Here's something you might be able to help me with.  This is from someone
having difficulites netbooting their MicroVAX 3100 (Model SZ12??? --
never heard of that one).  Everything during the boot process seems to go
well up until the bootloader executes.  They followed the instructions of
my VAXstation netboot HOWTO, so they should be using the `mopboot'
provided in your netboot.tar.gz file.

Some big questions would be:

[1] Does that mopboot have a standalone ethernet driver for MicroVAX
    3100's?

[2] Which VAX models are supported by the netbsd-v31 netbsd-v20 kernels?
    (I'm guessing VS2000 for v20 and VS3100 for v31).  It be sort of silly
    for this person try getting the netbsd-v31 kernel booted if it doesn't
    actually support the MicroVAX 3100.

Other questions I have are (open to anyone):

[3] Are there netbsd kernels and mopboot images available which support
    MicroVAX 2000's and 3100's?

[4] What *are* the differences between the MicroVAX and VAXstation 3100's
    and 2000's?  From skimming the mailing list, I gather that the like
    numbered machines are very simillar, but that there are some
    significant differences between the VAXstation and MicroVAX systems.
    Could somebody enlighten me with a little detailed exposition?  (Or
    point me to a good source).

I'd sort of like to know some of this as I'd like to provide more correct
information in my netbooting HOWTO about exactly which machines are
supported. In it's present state the instructions are fairly general with
strong references to VAXstation 3100's but nothing explicitly saying that
"this won't work on your MicroVAX 3100."

-brian.