Subject: Re: hobbyist VMS licenses
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1997 19:36:13
Paul Apprich wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 1997, Gordon Zaft wrote:
>

> >       This isn't strictly a NetBSD thing but DEC and DECUS have just
> > announced that they are making hobbyist licenses for VAX/VMS available
> > for FREE through DECUS.
> >
> >       Check the following URL for more info:
> >
> >       http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/
[snip]
>  You gotta be serious! Who inhaled?

Yeah, it sure sounds too good to be true.  I'd definitely wait for a bit
and see if anything comes up on the DECUS web pages... there must be
something.  If there is, I'd be willing to believe, but if there isn't
then this all really is too good to be true. I've also seen another
announcement on comp.os.vms by cathey@eisner.decus.org (David L Cathey),
but nothing else.

I really hope that this is true.  The instability of NetBSD/vax has
practically caused me to give up on VAXen.  The multitasking performance
is great but it is about as stable as Windows when multitasking.

BTW.  There is one thing in the license that you may not like:
] Your license will be granted upon the issuance of the license key.
Your
] rights to use the software and the license key are LIMITED TO ONE YEAR
] from date of issuance of the license key.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |