Subject: Re: VAX 8200
To: Dave Arthur <Arthurdc@burridge.nscc.ns.ca>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/14/1997 14:03:34
> Well I've been away for a while....
>
> I see the list of supported CPU's is a lot longer... someone has been busy
> :-)
>
> The VAX 8200 is now on the list, so maybe someone can give me some info on
> it's implementation.
>
> The biBus MSCP controller is listed.. good. What about the biBus Ethernet
> controller, or do we have to go back to the UNIBUS companion cabinet with
> the UNIBUS Ethernet?

Neither the UNIBUS expansion nor DEBNA are supported. The DEBNA/DEBNT/DEBNK/
whatever ethernet would be very easy to write drivers for, but I don't
have any docs for it, so the only thing that works just now is a CPU
with KDB disk controller. Actually; I myself are very interested in writing
DEBN? ethernet support, so if someone does have any docs for any of
those controllers I would appreciate if I could copy it.
As soon as ethernet are ready for BI-bus, then it would be rather
straight-forward to fix support for the KA88 series of CPUs also.
(85X0/8700/8800). I have a couple of those machines here.

> My 8200 is no operational with 12 mb and 2 RA81's plus the RX50 floppies.
> I'm running ULTRIX right now, but only have two users allowed :-(

Hint: ULTRIX is a very similar to 4.3BSD, so if you get login.c and
rshd.c from some ftp site somewhere it will compile out-of-the-box.
Then you won't suffer from that Ultrix limitation.  I even remember
that the rshd binary from 4.3BSD runs directly under Ultrix :-)

-- Ragge