Subject: Re: putting 16 megs in a uVAX II
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/09/1997 14:15:57
Anders Magnusson writes:
> > I've just tried to upgrade my MicroVAX II to 16 megs by using two 8 meg
> > boards.  However, NetBSD thinks I have 9 megs.  The 8 meg boards
> > themselves do seem okay, and I can use an 8 meg board with a 4 meg board
> > to get 13 megs.  Does anybody know what could be the problem here?  Do I
> > need to do something special because the memory on the KA630 needs to be
> > disabled?  Could this be a NetBSD problem?
> >
> If you are running a new kernel (> 970315) then NetBSD gets its memory
> size from VMB and do not count it up itself. I.e. it's a hardware problem.

It's for sure not a problem of NetBSD since my MicroVAX II has 16MB
and no release of NetBSD/vax ever caused trouble related to memory
size.

I don't have the manuals handy, over the weekend i'll check if the
1MB onboard memory is disabled automagically or if you'll need to
set some jumpers...

Ciao,
	bertram