Subject: Re: 1.2c TK50 snapshot problems
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/06/1997 12:36:03
Boris,

At 03:15 PM 5/6/97 -0400, Boris Gjenero wrote:
>Rick Copeland wrote:
>> I have been unable to run the 1.2c  TK50 (970315) snapshot files from
>> NetBSD.org ftp server on my uVAX3600.  After I "B/3 MUA0" the first file I
>> get the following:
>[snipped output]
>> The uVAX3600 I am running is completely stock, no changes in any hardware.
>> It runs the 1.1 version fine.  I have tried the other 1.2c TK50 (970225)
>> snapshot files from NetBSD.org ftp server and it works, however when I run
>
>Well, it seems to me that you're succeeding with your install.  Your
>post does raise one question though:  is there something wrong with the
>970315 boot files.  I remember trying to boot it on my uVAX II but it
>crashed if I tried edlabel or copy.  I just put the 970225 rx33 image on
>the rx50 and then everything worked.
>
>> "disklabel -B ra0" the uVAX comes back with:
>>
>> #disklabel: /usr/mdec/aboot: no such file or directory
>
>As for raboot not being there, it just isn't there and you did the right
>thing
>taking it off the tape.  I didn't have any luck reading from the floppy
>drives, so I just used awk and the console port.  (You really wouldn't
>want to know the twisted things I do to install things in these cases.)
>:-)
I am not sure I did the right thing here, mainly because it should have
booted the kernel on DUA0 and not the miniroot!

>> when I tried to run MAKEDEV the system said that MAKEDEV did not exist so I
>
>As for MAKEDEV, it is found in /dev and I'm sure it is there.  Just go
>into dev and run it with ./MAKEDEV instead of just MAKEDEV.  It takes
>options too, and they are explained in comments in the file.

I have tried ./MAKEDEV and I get the same error.  I have not checked the
/dev directory yet (I will after work tonight)

>> B DUA0
>>
>> The system booted the miniroot!
>
>See... you're on the right track.

I have been fighting this VAX implementation for some time now and the 1.2
version really seems screwd up.  This is only my opinion granted,  but it
seems like a crime that with all the really knowledgeable people that work
with Vax machines and use this port that the 1.2x version should have so
many bugs (real lack of update info too).  I wish I could help!

>--
>|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
>|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |
>|  "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to   |
>|  depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ  |

Rick Copeland