Subject: Re: Console pinouts on MicroVAX II
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/04/1997 12:56:30
Okay, so in summary I personally have learned the following:

1. The RS-232 is officially only specified on the DB-25 connector.

2. At least DEC and IBM have their own RS-232 subsets mapped on a 9 pin
   connector.

3. The 9 pin connector isn't a DB-9 connector because there is no such
   thing, this connector is in fact a DE-9.

4. Mapping subsets of the official RS-232 to smaller connectors makes some
   people unhappy.  This is either because it confuses the one true RS-232
   standard, or because it confuses people like me trying to make my own
   cables.

5. IBM's subset of RS-232 mapped to DE-9 is brain-dead (I completely agree
   when looking at how they mapped things).

6. There are a number of people in Sweden who really know their cabling
   standards and related terminology.

Thanks for all the clarification.  I think I smell a tiny-FAQ.
-brian.

Brian D. Chase            Unix/Network Shaman          brianc@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --