Subject: Re: Q: MicroVAX II - console commands and netbooting.
From: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/04/1997 02:30:01
On Sun, 4 May 1997, Bertram Barth wrote:

> The console commands for the MicroVAX II are a subset of the commands
> available for 3100, the "KA630-AA CPU Module Users Guide" mentiones:
[...]
> There's no way to get information about installed devices or
> memory-size from the console commands directly.

Ah well.  Thanks for the list of commands.

> In prinicple it's possible to netboot a MicroVAX II, but NetBSD's current
> netboot/mopboot binary doesn't hold a standalone driver for the DEQNA.

Ragge has just fed me the same information :-(  But he did say that he was
working on it.  Of the options you suggested, I think the RX33 is my best
bet.  I've got an old 1.2M 5.25 drive handy in one of my PCs.  I suppose
if I can get the NetBSD/VAX kernel booted then most of my hardware
questions will get answered.

---

I did also just try `b xqa0' to see if I'd get any sort of reaction from
my MOP server.  Unfortunately nothing came over the net.  After about a 1
or 2 min of intense but silent thinking, my MicroVAX II returned with:

  ?48 CTRLERR, XQA0
  ?06 HLT INST
      PC = 00000EE6
  Failure.

Boooo.  I hope it's just the junky transceiver I stuck on the AUI port
and not the controller card itself.

Further equipment swapping is required I guess.

-brian.
Brian D. Chase            Unix/Network Shaman          brianc@carpediem.com
-- Compression, Inc. - 13765 Alton Pkwy, Suite B - Irvine, CA 92618, USA --