Subject: Re: Q: MicroVAX II - console commands and netbooting.
To: Brian D Chase <brianc@carpediem.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/04/1997 10:42:24

> [1] Does anyone have a comprehensive list of console commands for the
> MicroVAX II?  I found one on port-vax for the VAXstations 3100's but I
> didn't see anything for the MicroVAX II.  I'm primarily concerned with
> obtaining information about the installed devices.  Other useful things
> would be determining the physical memory size and hardware ethernet
> address of my DEQNA card.

There are no such command on the MicroVAX II. The console command set
is even a subset of the 11/750 commands. It even lacks single-step :-/
What you can do is almost only to boot and examine/deposit memory/registers.

> [2] Is it possible to netboot a MicroVAX II?  If yes, how do you do it?  I
> saw the question raised of few times in port-vax but I never came across
> any answers.  I did noticed an example of someone booting from either
> floppy disk or tape and nfs mounting their root filesystem, but I'm
> actually interested in booting right from the network using MOP.

A MVII can be net-booted (B XQA0) and the kernel understands that, but
the boot program (first-stage loader) can't load the kernel; there are
no standalone driver for deqna/delqa. (yet, I'm working on it...)

-- Ragge