Subject: Re: Is the console 8 bit clean?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/26/1997 09:56:53
Matt Thomas wrote:
> The console has no buffering at all.  It really can't accept an input
> stream without dropping characters.  Digital has never supported DDCMP
> or SLIP or any communications protocol over a console port.

It's interesting how I managed to cat all of NetBSD in uuencoded form to
a VAXstation 2000 without dropping a single character, while the
MicroVAX II couldn't not drop characters on a stream of input no matter
what I do.
Oh well.  I'll create a file transfer protocol to deal with this
horribly extreme form of brain damage.

BTW.  I suppose all these problems would go away if I used a port on the
DHV11, but it doesn't seem supported on the generic kernel...  and I can
only recompile on the MicroVAX II where I have the disk space.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |