Subject: Re: VS 3100-M38 boot: le linklevel address damaged
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/1997 14:30:46
> I asked: >>
> Ragge answered: >
>
> >> Btw, what edlabel can I use to label the disk? Disklabel from the
> >> netbooted NetBSD doesn't understand the Ultrix label, right (or bug?)
> >>
> >Right. I haven't ever been in touch with an Ultrix disklabel. I cannot
> >guarantee that the standalone edlabel works at all with the SCSI
> >disk either.
>
> that is, I should try to extract the edlabel from one of the boot tape
> images? Or write it to tape and try to boot it from tape? Or can I use
> a NetBSD disklabel on a VAX?

NetBSD/vax uses only NetBSD disklabels; i.e. you must have a NetBSD
disklabel on your disk to be able to do something useful. There are
no builtin functions on vax systems for searching the boot block for
disklabels, the only thing close to it is that the micro-vmb on
MicroVAXen searches for a FILES-11 filesystem first. If it doesn't
find one, load first block and execute it.

-- Ragge