Subject: Re: About this MOP business..
To: None <dep@canit.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/22/1997 13:52:46
   Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:59:52 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Andreas Fredriksson <dep@canit.se>
   Sender: port-vax-owner@NetBSD.ORG

   Hello all.

   I'm sitting here with a uVAX 3600, RA82, RA70, 32M ram, Ethernet card.

   Why doesn't any of the mop images found in any distribution work on this
   machine? Has anyone successfully mop'd a 3600? In that case I'd love a
   copy of the image you sent over, just to see if the hardware is ok. =:)

I think there is a problem with the (standalone?) network (lance
only?) driver in >16MB machines, currently. I dont know if this is
easily possible with your machine, but you might want to try with only 16MB.

   One other thing, don't know if this is done already; why not transfer a
   small filesystem (miniroot), and a kernel in mop'able format and install
   from there (kernel mounts ramdisk and has some binaries there), much like
   the various install disks for Linux, FreeBSD and so on.

Oh, somebody mentioned that there is a 64 kByte limit on the mop image
size... this would be why, eg. Ultrix also uses a 2ndstage
loader. Anyway, I managed to mopboot, and nfsmount a root
partition. It would be easily possible to distrubute a tar archive of
a miniroot for net installation purposes, once the machines themselves
are fully supported.

Regards,
	-is