Subject: Dead Serial on VS-2000
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Williams <kevinw@why.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/16/1997 23:39:13
Hello guys... me AGAIN!!

I have come to the conclusion that my VS-2000 has a dead serial port...

It WILL NOT communicate with any comm. programs I have tried to plug it into, Windows, DOS, or LINUX..

Is there any way I can plug a terminal into a different port, I read a message somewhere about the
fact that the VS-2000 actually has 4 serial ports. Or is there anyway I can get BSD set up far enough
to give the machine an IP address and telnet to it for the rest using the 4-plane graphics board and
that big ass 20" monitor?

In case anyone cares...

My VS-2000 has 6 megs of RAM, 20" color monitor, 4-plane card, TK-50, and a digitizer(it used to be a
CAD WS plugged into a cluster controller)

Is it possible that this port is dead? If so, could I test it anyway?
If it turns out to be dead, is their a motherboard available anywhere for sale?

Also, is the port a standard RS-232 port on the VS2k?

I have read a few messages which swap pins 5 + 7(ground) on the VS side.

I've tried every possible connection known to man.

Thanks again everyone, I really want to get NETBSD up on this guy.. It's a nifty toy.

Kevin Williams

"When you are looking out the window of a fast moving car for a while, you begin to develop a feeling
of timelessness, of not belonging to this world, of not taking part in its activities... ...this is
the time when dreams and fantasies take over from the more profane thoughts of everyday life."

 - Edgar Froese

kevinw@why.net
http://www.why.net/users/kevinw