Subject: Re: Stability of NetBSD/VAX
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/1997 11:32:23
Oscar Oberg writes:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > The stability of the VS2000 port isn't good; at least if you are
> > doing heavy disk I/O to MFM disks. I think that it may work function
> > better if you have a SCSI drive connected. A MicroVAX II with
> [snip]
>
> Mine locks up all the time w/ root and swap on SCSI. This happens mostly
> when I try to compile anything. I've had an i386 box lock up repeatedly
> with this and two other disks in it, so it could be the disk. Sometimes

If it locks up (ie. it just sits there and doesn't react to keystrokes
anymore) but doesn't crash/halt and maybe still reacts on pings, then
it's IMHO not a problem of the VS2000's drivers but a general NetBSD
problem. I've the same thing seen on VAX and i386, both with post-1.2
kernels. They run out of free-mem (usually during compile or within gdb)
and dont' recover from that....

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: Booting into single-user mode only and doing the compiles there
    might help.