Subject: Re: Cross compilers (was Re: Stability of NetBSD/VAX)
To: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/11/1997 17:16:13
On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, David Evans wrote:

>   I don't think you'll have much luck extracting the compiler stuff from the
> NetBSD source tree.  I've briefly poked at building a cross-compiler under AIX
> but the BFD library seems to be hosed when it comes to a.out files on VAXen.

Try using binutils 2.7 with the patches from my patches page (off
of <http://www2.portal.ca/~cjs>) applied, along with gcc 2.7.2.
I've not tried this with a VAX, but I've cross-compiled a Sun 3
kernel with this arrangement.

Binutils 2.7 doesn't deal with NetBSD a.out format properly. This
patch should be in 2.8, though.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'