Subject: Stability of NetBSD/VAX
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/10/1997 22:47:51
Hello,

I'm just wondering how stable is NetBSD/VAX supposed to be.  I've had
some unexplained and bad things happen on my two VAXstation 2000s.
First of all, it seems that if junk (eg. a binary file, accidentally) is
sent through the console port there is almost always a crash.  The
VS2000 sometimes even reboots but then doesn't work right until power
cycled.  I've also had panics due to filesystem errors such as corrupt
directories.  This was just some filesystem on /mnt.  I've also just had
fsck on boot crash the system repetedly until I booted into single user
mode and fsck completed without finding errors.  Is this normal or is
something wrong here?  Should things be better on a MicroVAX II?

BTW.  Yes, I know that this is a rather new port and support for VS2000
is especially new, so I'm not trying to lay blame.  I'm just wondering
if these errors are due to NetBSD or bad hardware or configuration.

						Boris Gjenero