Subject: Re: The Digital Network Appliance Reference Design
To: Joe Broxson <broxson@u2.it.wsu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/09/1997 19:24:43
	It sounds very much like a cross between the settop box that
	Online Media were trialing in the UK a while back and the
	ARM7500 development board from VLSI. The latter runs the
	stock NetBSD/arm32 port (IIRC).

	I (like much of port-arm32) have what could be thought of as a
	'big brother' of the DNA - a Risc PC from Acorn, Same CPU, two
	simm sockets, ATA drives etc...
	The RiscPC also has a second CPU slot, that can take another ARM
	CPU or a Pentium - odd but useful :)

	Only problem with the DNA looks to be getting enough storage into
	it - a single Zip drive just doesn't cut it - but if that
	interface can take an ATA drive as well...

	Looks like we've found a worthy successor to the Multia for the
	'cute small non intel unix box' title - the benchmarks for the
	SA110 CPU show it outperforming a P-Pro200 by a little.
	(Though the current NetBSD code needs work wrt to cache flushing
	to get better performance)

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more --'