Subject: Re: MOP on uVAX 3600?
To: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/09/1997 16:13:34
On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Arno Griffioen wrote:

> As a prelim to getting NetBSD going on my 3600 I decided to check out if
> all parts are in good working order (just to make sure..)
>
> OK.. Let's test the ethernet card..
>
> I grabbed the MOPD archive from ftp.stacken.kth.se and installed
> it on my Alpha-Linux and my i386-Linux box (haven't got the ethernet
> card in my Linux/m68k box working yet :-).
>
> I installed the things and started mopd with '-a -d' so I could see
> what it was doing.. (tested on both boxes)
>
> A boot with 'B XQA0' did indeed produce a MOP request and
> the LINUX box sent NETTEST.SYS to the VAX (symlinked to a
> file in /tftp/mop.../<etheraddr>.SYS)
>
> OK.. So far so good... :-)
>
> Now the VAX returns with an SCB error :-(
>
> Any MOPable file (mopboot etc.) loads OK, but it dies
> with an SCB2INT on the VAX.

I'll think this is caused by NETTEST trying to access routines in rom that
don't exists on a KA640/KA650. I found this bug some week ago while trying
to boot a MV3300. I'll see if I can replace the NETTEST image with a working
one.

The problem even exists in the bootblock and boot program in the latest
snapshot. So installing NetBSD might be hard.

I'll have written some new code for consio.c to handle KA640/KA650. I'll
send-bug them soon...

> If this is 'normal' behaviour I'll shut up and go away ;-)
>
> The 3600 should be quite standard apart from the Emulex UC07 I have installed
> as well.
>
> 						Bye Arno.
>
> --
> Internet Exchange Europe B.V.Fax: +31-70-3630470 | One disk to rule them all,
> Lange Voorhout 9  	     Tel: +31-70-3600379 | One disk to bind them,
> 2514EA Den Haag +--------------------------------+ One disk to hold the files
> The Netherlands |   * END OF TRANSMISSION *      | And in the darkness grind 'em

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)