Subject: Re: Finding out parameters for edlabel.
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/1997 21:53:28
Boris Gjenero wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering how can I find out the geometry that I should use in the
> disk label for an MFM drive running off a RQDX3 in a MicroVAX II.  I
> tried to start a NetBSD install onto a ST251 in the uVAX, but I had to
> give up because couldn't find a disktab entry for that drive (also known
> as RD32) with an MSCP controller.  I know I can't just use the physical
> drive parameters because the MSCP controller seems to offer some
> different geometry.

  I used the values from the Ultrix disktab, which I found by doing an
Altavista search for RD32 and disktab.  Haven't tested it yet because my second
miniroot floppy was bad.

> BTW.  It sure was fun trying to find something to write RX50 floppies on
> a PC.  Most of the utilities I tried failed, often in bizzare and
> twisted ways.  Eventually I got things to work.  I haven't tried putr
> yet...

  I didn't have much luck with putr last night, trying to use it to write RX33
images (I hadn't grabbed rawwrite yet.)  I kept getting syntax errors, even
though the command looked good to me...

--
David Evans              (NeXTMail OK)              dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/