Subject: Finding out parameters for edlabel.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/1997 18:04:50
Hello,

I'm wondering how can I find out the geometry that I should use in the
disk label for an MFM drive running off a RQDX3 in a MicroVAX II.  I
tried to start a NetBSD install onto a ST251 in the uVAX, but I had to
give up because couldn't find a disktab entry for that drive (also known
as RD32) with an MSCP controller.  I know I can't just use the physical
drive parameters because the MSCP controller seems to offer some
different geometry.

In the end I put NetBSD on an RD53, but I'd still like to put in the
ST251.

BTW.  It sure was fun trying to find something to write RX50 floppies on
a PC.  Most of the utilities I tried failed, often in bizzare and
twisted ways.  Eventually I got things to work.  I haven't tried putr
yet...

					Boris Gjenero