Subject: Re: RX50 floppies from PC?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/1997 10:38:54
Allison J Parent writes:
> > loaded directly via mop, in the same manner that the Ultrix kernel cannot
> > be loaded with mop but must be loaded from Ultrixboot (which in turn
> > is loaded by mop).
>
> Ah ha!  Thats the missing piece.  In VMS terms is was secondary boot.  I'm
> lacking the protocal knowledge to write a qe driver so that's more than I
> could tackle.

That shouldn't be a problem ;-)
All the protocol stuff is already there in the standalone libraries.
What's missing is the interface to qe's hardware:
	- initialize controller
	- send one packet
	- receive one packet
that's almost all what needs to be done.

> > I cannot test anything that has to do with VMS, because I only have
> > Unix machines here, and also have a limited amount of hardware
> > to test on.
>
> I only have a MVII (sandwitched into a BA23) and a vs2000 here so hardware
> is limited as well.  I just happen to have a functional VMS MVII with enough
> of disk space.  I lack a unix node.

Do you have installed UCX on you MVII? AFAIK the more recent versions
allow VMS machines to act as NFS-server.
Also there is (or at least was) and TCP/IP packet from CMU so that
you can use ftp to transfer install files from VMS to VS2000.

So all you need to install the VS2000 are the boot/miniroot floppies.
(Oh yes, and a floppy drive on both machines.)

Ciao,
	bertram