Subject: Re: RX50 floppies from PC?
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1997 22:28:03

> > Yes, but you cannot load the NetBSD kernel directly with mop; you must
> > load it from the boot program, and the boot program doesn't have any
> > routines for qe ethernet.
>
> Illogic. The netboot routies will load anything that fits the protocal.
> It's been a while, if memory serves that means any program that is up to 64k
> in size <maybe larger>. Once loaded it does not have to even acknowledge how
> it got there.  Typically in VMS enviornments the mop loads a loader, that
> loader knows a higher protocal appropriate for tha task or adaquate to load
> something big like VMS itself.

Yes? I don't get your point. What's illogic? That I (or someone else)
haven't yet written standalone qe routines? It is of course possible
to load anything with mop, but there must be that "anything" that someone
has written. If there are some utility you are missing, feel free to
write it. As for now (this may of course change) the kernel cannot be
loaded directly via mop, in the same manner that the Ultrix kernel cannot
be loaded with mop but must be loaded from Ultrixboot (which in turn
is loaded by mop).
I cannot test anything that has to do with VMS, because I only have
Unix machines here, and also have a limited amount of hardware
to test on.

-- Ragge