Subject: Re: RX50 floppies from PC?
To: None <vluu@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1997 11:55:57

> I recently got a MicroVax II, unfortunately with no hard drives. It does
> have a tape drive and a double RX50 (400 KB) drive, as well as a DECQNA
> Ethernet card.
>
> I'd like to run this machine off the network. Unfortunately, it is
> apparently not possible to network boot this machine (unlike VS2000s)...
> so I figure that a good approach may be to initially boot off a floppy.

I have no idea whre you got that idea from.  The DEC LPS40 printserver is a
diskless MicrovaxII in a ba23 and boots via eithernet.  I used to work with
a LAVC (loacal area vax cluster)  of 4 MVIIs with deqnas and a 750 as a boot
engine.  Ran 2 doesn users well under vms 5.2.

The easy fix is to pull one of the Rx50s and put a rd53/54 there or if your
patient boot from tape.

Allison