Subject: RX50 floppies from PC?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Viet-Trung Luu <vluu@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1997 07:50:46
Maybe this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find any answer to it, so I figured
that I'd ask it here...

I recently got a MicroVax II, unfortunately with no hard drives. It does
have a tape drive and a double RX50 (400 KB) drive, as well as a DECQNA
Ethernet card.

I'd like to run this machine off the network. Unfortunately, it is
apparently not possible to network boot this machine (unlike VS2000s)...
so I figure that a good approach may be to initially boot off a floppy.

That doesn't seem like a huge problem, except I have no idea what format
the floppies are (from the hardware/physical level). Since the drives
are the same as a PC's (indeed, I've seen utilities allowing Vaxen
running VMS to read/write MS-DOS floppies), it shouldn't pose any major
technical difficulty.

So, what I'd like to know is: number of sectors/tracks/etc... (as well
as whether any strange things are done with sector ordering or not), or
whether someone has already done this and how.

(I'm currently running Linux on my PCs, where fiddling with floppy
parameters should be fairly straightforward. If someone has written a
utilitiy for MS-DOG, I'm willing to give that a try though.)

- Trung