Subject: Re: Compiling kernel
To: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: Matti Ristinmaa <hlmr@bertil.hallf.lth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/1997 13:36:19
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Bertram Barth wrote:

> Matti Ristinmaa writes:
> > Ok, I guess I need some help.... I have been trying to compile a new
> > kernel (1.2) ... and having some minor problems... mostly because I need
> > more instructions.
> [ description o fsome errors follows]
>
> usually most of these errors are caused by out-of-date config.
> So the first thing you should do is compile a new config binary
> and check what happens when using that.
>
> BTW: Sometimes you'll need to build a new make binary also.
>
> Ciao,
> 	bertram

Thanks all, that helped complied troff, groff, complied make,
config and finally complied a new kernel, but still...

The config GENERIC works fine now....
next make depend
in vax/compile/GENERIC says  it can't find netinet/if_ether.h
in machdep.c (flag INET). Should config generate this???? I made some
changes in GENERIC, # on things that I could not identify in the VS2000,
anyway find showed that if_ether.h could be found in net and somewhere else
I don't remember.  Changed netinet/if_ether.h to net/if_ether.h in
machdep.c.... then make depend and make works. The complied kernel seems
to work.

In GENERIC I included option CD9660, is this enough to obtain support for
CD on the scsi-1????. It identifies the CD correctly but says not
configured...

As usual, I guess I am missing something???

/Thanks Matti