Subject: Installation problem
To: None <kodakr::"port-vax@NetBSD.ORG">
From: Dudley M. Bertram <bertram@Kodak.COM>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1997 18:28:36
I am trying to install the latest 1.2C snapshot on a standard uVAX II. However, this VAX has a TK70 rather
than a TK50 tape drive. It also has 3 rd54s and, if the diagnostic tape is to be believed,
2 RQDX controllers. I believe it also contains a SCSI controller but the diag could not recognize it

I have been able to perform the following steps:

1) Create boot tape on another VAX/VMS system with a TK70. Tape contains both FILE1 and FILE2
2) Tape booted correctly
3) Ran edlabel to create label on first rd54
4) Successfully loaded copy

Now the problem. Below is what occurs when copy is run:

Specify the device to read from as xx(N,?), where
xx is the device-name, ? is file/partition number
and N is the unit-number, e.g.
"mt(0,1)" for the first TMSCP-tape (TK50),
"ra(2,0)" for the third MSCP-disk/floppy (RX33/RX50)

device to read from ? mt(0,1)

Specify number of blocks to transfer. Usually this is
sizeof(miniroot) / 512.
It's safe to transfer more blocks than just the miniroot.

number of blocks ? 4096

If your miniroot is split into volumes, then you must
specify the number of blocks per volume.
(e.g. 800 blocks per RX50, 2400 blocks per RX33)

number of blocks per volume ? [4096]

Make sure unit mt(0,1) is online and holds the proper volume.
Then type 'g' to Go or 'a' to Abort.

OK to go on ? [g/a] g
Reading ... cannot open unit mt.

Specify the device to read from as xx(N,?), where
xx is the device-name, ? is file/partition number
and N is the unit-number, e.g.
"mt(0,1)" for the first TMSCP-tape (TK50),
"ra(2,0)" for the third MSCP-disk/floppy (RX33/RX50)

device to read from ?

Help?