Subject: Compiling kernel
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matti Ristinmaa <hlmr@bertil.hallf.lth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/26/1997 10:45:28
Ok, I guess I need some help.... I have been trying to compile a new
kernel (1.2) ... and having some minor problems... mostly because I need
more instructions.

This is what I have done...
cd to sys/arch/vax/conf
edited GENERIC... put some # at different places..
then I run
config GENERIC
which gives a error in sys/conf/files
defopt KMEMSTATS
I changed this to define KMEMSTATS, now config GENERIC is ok.
Same error appear with the original GENERIC file.

Next
cd to sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC
where I type
make depend
I did read something in the FAQ, about the make depend not working, but...
the error is that
opt_kmemstats.h
is missing in my installation. opt_kmemstats.h is used by
sys/kern/kern_malloc.c
and
malloc.c

Without changing this make will give me an error... so I comment these
out and now make is compiling... I don't know if this will work, since
I left home before it was completed.

Is this the way to compile the kernel???????, I guess I'm missing
some steps and need some more instructions......

Thanks /Matti