Subject: Compiling 1.2 source
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/1997 12:39:10
Hello Group,

Having gotten my 3500 installed and running well, I decided to take the
next step and try to compile the source.  I pulled down the web-pages
from the web site so that they are local and followed to the best of my
abilities the directions.

The problems I run into are two fold.  The first seems to be answered
and that is the fact that (troff/groff) core dumps in certain subdirectories.

The final problem (and the most significant) is that to run 'make build'
as the FAQ suggests does not work.  I get a message saying something to
the effect of 'Don't know how to make $(.TARGET)/....'  (replace ... with
just about anything depending where you are at.

For those who were paying attention, I manually build some things (like
ksh independently rather that going though the super-build).  That was
how I found the first problem.

There seems also to be a lack of data on the configuration process.  I
am keeping a "blow-by-blow" account on my private web-server so that when
this is done and people are interested I could give the documents to the
current maintainer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy