Subject: VS2000 + scsi + disklabel
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/21/1997 10:17:40
> 	Has anyone of those who have managed to boot a VaxStation 2000
> 	up with NetBSd tried to write disklabel to scsi disk ?

My VS2000 is still running 1.1A with /usr on SCSI disk. I don't remember
any serious problems when labeling this disk.

BTW: for what it's worth, last night i copied the generic kernel from
     latest(?) snapshot (15-mar-1997) onto my VS2000's root partition
     and tried to boot from that kernel. I got the same behaviour as
     others have decribed, after the copyright banner nothing happens...
     (My RD32 doesn't have any bad spots, so this should not be a problem.
     Might this problem be related to memory-size and/or extension boards?
     Mine has 10MB and somehow it looks like an endless loop while
     counting the memory...)

I just looked into pmap.c on my nearest mirror, and what I see there
is almost sure an endless loop! It might work for machines without
extension boards, but for machines with memory extension boards the
"base" memory shows up once, while the extension shows up multiple
times starting from the top of base, thus the bcmp() with address 0x00
will never succeed for addresses within the extension...

> 	Last night I attached a DEC rz24 to my VS2000. It was detected OK,
> 	but disklabel -w -r sd0 rz24 results always in "sd0: no disk label" and
> 	after that the system starts complaining about that the disk is
> 	no longer configured. Trying disklabel again no longer outputs
> 	"no disk label" just says that disk is not configured.

I think I remember something like that from NetBSD/i386, but I can't
remember the solution to it. Thus I'd claim it's not a problem of
the vax port but something else.

Two possible workarounds:
- put the disk onto a NetBSD/i386 and label it there. Since i386
  and VAX are both little endian, the labels will be compatible.
- try disklabel -R/W with protofiles instead of disktab entries.
  sometimes this works...

Ciao,
	bertram