Subject: VS-2000 Blues
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Williams <kevinw@why.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/19/1997 11:02:55
Hello Everyone!

I recently axquired a VS-2000 with a TK-50 tape drive. I followed the instruction
for creating a set of boot tapes from VMS(at work) and everything seemed to go fine.
However, when I try to boot the tapes in the VS2000, nothing every seems to happen.
I tried to type
B/3 MUA0
and
B MUA0

With B/3 it simply clears the screen and and says MUA0 at the top of the screen
for all infinity. With B, it eventually comes back and tells me HLT.

How long should it take to boot? Am I just not waiting long enough? Are the heads in
my TK-50 dirty? Are aliens inhibiting me from putting BSD on this guy?

I'm pretty new to the world of Vax Hardware.

I took the VS apart and it appears to have a 2-meg video board, and 6-megs of system
memory.  It also has an enormous 20" monitor and a digitizing board. (It used to be
a Cad workstation.) Also, does anyone know if there will every be a way to run
X-Windows on this guy?

Thanks!

Kevin Williams

"When you are looking out the window of a fast moving car for a while, you begin to
develop a feeling of timelessness, of not belonging to this world, of not taking
part in its activities... ...this is the time when dreams and fantasies take over
from the more profane thoughts of everyday life."

 - Edgar Froese

kevinw@why.net
http://www.why.net/users/kevinw