Subject: edlabel, SCSI, and VS2000
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/19/1997 09:23:18
Oscar Oberg writes:
> I'm having some problems edlabeling a 40 mb Apple SCSI HD on my VS2000
> Here's a log of an attempt:
[...]
> Would this be a problem with the naming (sd(1,0,0)), the disk, or
> something else?

It's a problem of the SCSI support in the standalone programs. There
are some sources for scsi-support in the vax/boot directory, but they
were never really ported/integrated/tested/debugged.

On the other hand, IMHO they're not really neccessay. VS2000's ROM
doesn't support booting from SCSI disks. Since edlabel is the tool for
preparing the later boot-device, for additional devices disklabel/newfs
is the way to choose. [things might be different for 3100 upwards.]

The in-kernel SCSI-support works on VS2000, thus once you have a
running system, the SCSI-disk should be accessable.

> The jumpers on the disk look like it's on SCSI ID 0, but the netbsd
> kernel says it's device 1

vice-versa would be normal, since devices are numbered linearly
starting from sd0 (ignoring their real SCSI-id). What you describe
sounds strange...

> disklabel (when netbsd is running) doesn't work either; it exits with a
> "Device not configured"

disklabel with target "sd0" should work.

Ciao,
	bertram