Subject: Re: uVAX 2000 Up and Running
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/18/1997 13:03:50

>     command 0x5d completed with status 0x30
>     command 0xa0 completed with status 0x30
>
> and getting data corruption on the drive, so I assume it has a
> bunch of bad sectors. NetBSD appears to be unable to deal with
> that. The bad144 program didn't come in the snapshot and, in fact,
> doesn't appear to be compiled for the VAX by default, but I grabbed
> a copy and compiled it up anyway.  Unfortunately, running it made
> it pretty abundantly clear that it and the drive are in disagreement
> about where the bad144 sector map is supposed to be. I reformatted
> the drive with T 70 but still had the same result.

Due to the Ultrix manpage for the MV2000 disks they shall use the same
bad block handling as MSCP disks, and not BAD144. This is probably
to be compatible with the same physical disks on MVII. Unfortunately
I don't have any idea about how this works...
If someone are planning to make serious work on the MFM routines on
VS2000, please tell me. The DMA area resource handling is... kludgy.
Recommended is to use SCSI disks instead.

-- Ragge