Subject: uVAX 2000 Up and Running
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1997 15:56:49
Well, I just netbooted a uVAX 2000 and I must say it was a fine
and easy experience. Except for compiling and installing MOP
(trivial) and figuring out the boot command (decidely untrivial
for a non-DEC guy like me) it was just like netbooting a Sun.

But now we get on to the tricky thing with the RD54 on this beast.
I'm getting messages of the form

    command 0x5d completed with status 0x30
    command 0xa0 completed with status 0x30

and getting data corruption on the drive, so I assume it has a
bunch of bad sectors. NetBSD appears to be unable to deal with
that. The bad144 program didn't come in the snapshot and, in fact,
doesn't appear to be compiled for the VAX by default, but I grabbed
a copy and compiled it up anyway.  Unfortunately, running it made
it pretty abundantly clear that it and the drive are in disagreement
about where the bad144 sector map is supposed to be. I reformatted
the drive with T 70 but still had the same result.

Do we need to do some work on bad144 and the disk driver to get
bad sector remapping working here? Does anyone have specs for this?

Also, just to test the drive I tried to `dd if=/dev/rrd0c of=/dev/null
bs=8k' and got a lot of `IOCTL 40386d02 not implemented' messages.
Does anyone know off hand what this means? Doing the same from
rrd0a works (but produces a fair number of those `command 0x5d
completed with status 0x30' messages).

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates