Subject: Re: Novice and unix...
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1997 15:48:31
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Allison J Parent wrote:

> [ MicrovaxII, two RD54s<rqdx3>, TK50, DELQA and serial lines, VM5.4 ]
> [ target system is vs2000 with RD53, TZK50, RX33, LANCE also no video ]
>
> Questions:
>
> What do I need and where is the best source for a working bootable system
> for the vs2000?
>
> What is the best installation path?

	Your best bet would probably be to grab a copy of the RX33 or
	TK50 images from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/,
	plus ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot,
	write the floppy or tape (preferred) images on the uVax, then
	boot the vs2000 & install. That will get you a minimal system
	on the vs2000 from which you should be able to extract the
	rest of the snapshot (either from tape or ethernet).
	You should read through the installation notes & READMEs in
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/ carefully when
	installing :)

	Its probably worth having a copy of the NetBSD/vax FAQ - you
	can get to it via the FAQ link on
	http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/index.html

> I'd like to have the Vaxen have the ability to run SLIP/PPP access to the
> ISP via modem and eventually an IP eithernet connection between all the
> vaxen and the PC.

	AFAIK NetBSD/vax should support ppp or slip out of the box.

> I'm not interested in initially windows of any kind for the vaxen, I have no
> video for them.  This save me some difficulty I'm sure.

	It certainly does :)

> All suggestions welcome.

	Personally I'd suggest looking at NetBSD on the PC as well, but
	thats just because I like NetBSD :)

	Good luck!

		David/abs		david@mono.org

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more --'