Subject: Re: mop booting of vs2000
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1997 10:28:40
On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Curt,
> >
> > Just for clarity; this means a mopd that will compile and run under
> > NetBSD?
> >
> :-) Yes, mopd is written for NetBSD and works directly. It is Linux
> that needs special tweeking to get it work. Booting a VAX from another
> NetBSD machine works directly.
>
> -- Ragge
>
> Note: Mopd doesn't work on VAXen with de or qe ethernet cards yet, due
> to lack of promiscous mode on those interfaces.

As far as I know mopd don't need promiscous mode. I have had it running
on AIX 3.2 and AIX don't have promiscous mode. What the BSD version needs
is bpf support in the driver. But I think i'll remember a commit message
about bpf in at least one of the vax drivers last october (or maybe a
little bit later). Since load requests are ethernet broadcasts it will
reach mopd with or without promiscous mode.

Another note when I'm at it. If Curt has commited mopd-2.5.3 then
boot.mopformat will only be needed at some none BSD-based versions
of mopd. mopd-2.5.3 supports loading files in (some) a.out formats.

I'm working on getting Linux to compile out of the box, not needing a
special version. ECOFF support is also high on the list and almost
completed (ELF and OLF might follow later...). I'm impressed over
Karl Maftoum's effort to make mopd known :-)

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)