Subject: Re: snapshot
To: Stephen PEARCE <spearce@ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/16/1997 10:34:37
> Hi
>
> 	How much of the snapshot in ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch
> /vax/snapshoot
> do you have to download to get a system that boots and displays
> a login promt on a vs2000?

Because the snapshot is just tar-files of the different directories
in the filesystem, I would recommend unpacking all of them.
(maybe except games :-). After that you can remove the parts that
you maybe don't need, like /usr/share/dict.

> 	Also does this snapshot contain the sources for the
> kernel .. in particular the sources with the diffs that allow one to
> recompile the system to make bootable images for the vs2000.
> (This being a starting point to try and make the console
> work on the same box .. not to mention giving somesort of
> insight into the vs2000 hardware)

The kernel are compiled out of -current; so you can just fetch
the normal sources and compile. There are no diffs, everything
you need are in the source tree.
When talking about console support: The QVSS/QDSS drivers from
4.4BSD are already in the source tree, and they may be a good
starting point. The DECstation port (pmax) does already have
working console support, and those machines are very similar, so
it may be a good idea to look at that port.

-- Ragge