Subject: RE: Where can I find a SCSI bootdisk for a VAX station 3100
To: 'Kevin J. McNeill' <kmcneill@dlogics.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/12/1997 22:30:41
Kevin,

In the past I've had problems with Quantum disks (several different
models, it seemed pretty consistant to any Quantum SCSI disk).

Never had a problem with Seagate though. Have also used other brands
with success, but Seagate has always been a safe bet for me.

Models I can remember worked:

Wren IV, (ST94171), ~370MB, 5 1/4" FH
Wren VI, (ST94191), ~670MB, 5 1/4" FH
Wren VII, (ST41200N), ~1.2GB, 5 1/4" FH
Wren VIII, (ST41600N), ~1.3GB, 5 1/4" FH
ST41650N, ~1.6GB, 5 1/4" FH
ST1239N, ~230MB, 3 1/2" FH
ST1426N, ~420MB, 3 1/2" FH, same drive as the DEC RZ25

This from memory, take the "ST" model numbers with a (little) grain of
salt.

Note: If you buy a brand new Seagate SCSI disk you should know that all
"N" marked disks ("N"=regular SCSI) are now Ultra-SCSI drives.
Ultra-SCSI is backwards compatible with "regular SCSI" (as used in the
MicroVAX/VAXstation 3100s) but requires a special "active" terminator on
the bus. The good old DEC SCSI terminators will not work. Other than
that the disks work fine. I just installed a brand new Seagate ST32155N
(2.1GB 3 1/2" HH Ultra-SCSI) in an old MicroVAX 3100 model 40 and it
worked like a charm once it got its active terminator at the end of the
bus. You can buy these terminators as regular external 50-pin
"Centronics" plugs or you can simply put the Seagate disk at the end of
the bus and use its soldered-on terminators (activated via jumpers).

I had exactly the same experience when I installed a new ST423451N (23GB
5 1/4" FH) in our DEC AXP 3000 model 400 a month ago.

No, I do not have any stock or other financial interest in Seagate...
;-)

Best of luck, hope this helps!

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2