Subject: Bad sector troubles.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/1997 08:37:46
Bad sectors are giving me lots of trouble with my VAXstation 2000
install.  The tar.gz files that I copy over end up corrupt.  I'm now
sure that those error messages I get aren't just ECC correctable errors.
It also seems to me that NetBSD wiped the bad sector maps that the
VAXstation 2000 format created.  Now they show only two bad sectors and
they used to show a lot more.  (BTW.  Does anybody know how to rebuild
those?  Test 71 just prints out a list but it doesn't seem to save the
list.)

Anyways, what should I do?  I know that there is a program called
badsect that can be used to create files for bad sectors.  However, this
wouldn't do anything about swap, and I'm worried about that too.  Also,
there is bad144.  Neither the binary nor its man pages are with the
distribution, but I've found the source and man page at an FTP site.  Is
this compatible with NetBSD/VAX?

Thanks for all the help.  This seems to be the final thing I need to
do.  After I've taken care of bad sectors I'll have a nicely working
system.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |