Subject: Re: The FAQ (was: RE: Netscape 4.0b2)
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/1997 02:22:04
Gunnar Helliesen drunkenly mumbled...

> You do have a point. One problem could be that when someone asks a FAQ
> nobody bothers to answer simply because we've been over it again and
> again. Like "is there support for the VAXstation 3100 yet?"

these will always get asked.  but if the FAQ is updated, the correct response
is RTFM. :)

> This is partly my fault since I haven't had the time to properly
> maintain the FAQ pages lately. I'll find the time and do a major
> overhaul shortly. However, I could use the help of the list members:

none of us have had time to do a lot of what we would like to.  my vs2000 still
fails to run NetBSD (or at all) simply because i don't have the time to mess
with it.  none of my sun3 hardware works simply because i don't have the time
to mess with it.  story of our lives.

> What questions (with answers) need to be added to the FAQ? I know that
> the list of supported hardware should be updated, there should be
> something about the recent developments with the uVAX/VAXstation 2000
> and some parts are obsolete and should be removed. But what else?

better install instructions for the vs2000 (they are very weak compared to the
sparc/sun3/i386 instructions i have here from the ftp site) better description
of how well the ports work for example: i looked at the FAQ and thought there
would be no trouble getting NetBSD on my vs2000.  it's just now, 2 months or so
since i checked the FAQ, that it is really possible.

> Please send your suggestions to me. You don't have to include the answer
> if you don't know it, but if you do it would be a great help! ,-)

i know so little.  it's sad.

> By the way, I can't make up my mind whether I should officially move the
> FAQ pages to my uVAX II or not. Keeping them in my account on our Alpha
> might be simpler for me and make the pages faster to download but
> somehow it seems more appropriate to host them on a uVAX running
> NetBSD/vax. What do you all think?

hmm, running it on the uVAX II would be appropriate, yes.  but running it on the
Alpha will better serve the community in most cases.  tough choice.  i'd stick
it on the uVAX II depending how much the uVAX already does.  if it has a normal
light load, go for it, but if the uVAX has a normal "heavier" load, the Alpha
might be a better choice.  if keeping it on the Alpha is easier for you, you
might want to seriously consider keeping it there.  you (as do we all) have
little enough time as it is.  you might not want to add any extra poorly used
time to your already busy schedule.

just my $.02

-wonko