Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0b2
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Ron Copley <copley1@MARSHALL.EDU>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/1997 11:13:09
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Boris Gjenero wrote:

> However, I've never seen it crash a machine or X server.  I've used it on
> Linux and a bit on SunOs.  Netscape just dissapears.  You'll lose any
> unsent messages and any downloads will stop, but at least X is still
> healthy.  Maybe some window managers are more sensitive to whatever
> Netscape does.

On our machines here it does the disappearing trick, but leaves behind a
BUS ERROR! Can you believe it? I've never seen a bus error on a
non-Motorola powered machine...

> However 3.01 gold seems rather stable compared to any other version when
> used for web browsing.  I'm not even sure I've seen it crash on my Linux
> box yet.

I've been running this here in the lab and find it much more stable than
before. Still doesn't like Java, though.

> However, web page editing is totally screwed up.  You *will* get random
> strings in the middle of your text and it will crash if you actually try
> to get work done.  Don't ever try to get real work done in the editor.

That's why there's emacs... :)

Cheers,
Ron

Ron Copley, Disillusioned
          "...hellre aerliga fiender aen falska vaenner..."
     "Drum auf bereit zum letzen Stoss wie's unsere Vaeter waren"