Subject: Re: NFS VAX and Linux
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: V. M. Haas <vhaas@cnj.digex.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/17/1997 20:51:18
"wonko@madness.tmok.com laughed . . ."

> V. M. Haas drunkenly mumbled...
> >
> > As I forwarded to Ragge, after rebooting the Linux box the NFS mount came
> > up OK.  I must guess that the nfsd or mountd on the Linux machine was in
> > some kind of "strange state" which gave me the results I described.
>
> i have had nothing but trouble with Linux and NFS.  i have yet to figure out
> a way to get it to re-read /etc/exports without a reboot.  doesn't matter
> what amount of process killing and restarting i do, it just refused to re-read
> the exports file.  just something to keep in mind if you need to change anything
> around again (i've also messed with booting linux off a server with the NFS_root
> option and have had nothing but trouble with that as well)
>
> i guess my point is: Linux is not the ideal OS to run an NFS server on.
>
> -wonko

Wonko -

I am just now trying to use it this way for the first time.

Linux may not be the ideal OS for the NFS server, but for me the hardware
_has_ the diskspace.  At some future time I might switch to
{Net|Free}BSD, on the Pentium box, but right now Linux has the best
bang for the buck (not to mention the fact that it is running . . .)

Thanks for your interest.
-- Mark