Subject: Re: Help - info on HP 97544S drive
To: None <Port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1997 18:42:04
Forwarded message:
>From boi.hp.com!stevem Mon Jan 27 16:55:20 1997
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:55:10 -0700
From: Steve Messinger <stevem@boi.hp.com>
To: rmsmith@csc.com (Robert Smith)
Subject: Re: Help - info on HP 97544S drive Please
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.hardware

In article <5ciam5$1am@explorer.csc.com> you wrote:
: I am looking for the info I need to construct a disktab entry
: using an HP 97544S 331MB scsi drive.

: I know it has 1447 cylinders, 56 sectors, 4 platters, 8 heads, runs
: 4002 RPM.

: But - I have not been able to find the following:
: bytes/sector - is it 512?
: sectors/track - not a clue
: tracks/cylinder - not a clue
: sectors/cylinder - not a clue
: Thanks in advance for any help anyone might offer!

Here is what I have in my old /etc/disktab file:

   # Total formatted capacity: 331 Mbytes
   #         512 Bytes/sector
   #         56 sectors/track;  8 heads;  1447 cylinders;
   #       Total: 324128 1k sectors
   hp2212A|HP_2212A|hp330S|hp97544S|HP_97544S:\
           :42 MBytes reserved for swap and boot:ns#28:nt#8:nc#1256:\
           :s0#281344:b0#8192:f0#1024:\
           :se#512:rm#4002:

However, if you're not aware of it, use of the disktab file is being
automated by a pair of utility programs called newdisk and newdisk_scan.
These programs are run at boot time to scan the system for new disks
and automatically update the disktab file for whatever disks are
discovered.

These utilities are available through patches to HP-UX.
I believe that the patch is PHCO_7461.

Look at http://us-support.external.hp.com/ for patches (it requires
registering, but I don't believe there are any restrictions on getting
patches).

I also believe that the newdisk utilities are standard with HP-UX 10.X.

(Disclaimer:  This is not an official response from the Hewlett-Packard
              Company.)

--
Steve_Messinger@mail.boi.hp.com               Hewlett-Packard, Boise ID