Subject: Re: configuring terminal ports
To: Robin Birch <robin@falstaf.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Quayle <icq@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1997 18:57:12
On Sunday 26 Jan, Robin Birch wrote:

> I am setting up printcap to print through a serial port and I can't find
> the "buttons to press" to vary the number of data bits and the stop bits
> in the RS232 stuff.  termcap doesn't refer to anything nor can I find
> suitable flags in the ioconf stuff.

This is the /etc/printcap file from my sparc I, SunOs 4.1.4 ~= BSD...

#
# Dumb Line Printer (Dec LA75, in this case)
# -----------------------------------------
lp|line printer:\
  :lp=/dev/ttya:\
  :br#19200:\
  :ms=ixon,ixoff,-parenb,cs8:\
  :if=/usr/lib/lpf:\
  :pl=60:\
  :pw=132:\
  :sd=/usr/spool/lp:\
  :af=/usr/adm/lpacct:\
  :lf=/dev/console:

#
# Raw Mode Line Printer for Tex Output Formatted Files
# ----------------------------------------------------
texlp|Tex File Printer:\
  :lp=/dev/ttya:\
  :br#19200:\
  :ms=raw,ixon,decctlq:\
  :sd=/usr/spool/texlp:\
  :lf=/dev/console:

#
# psf3: Ascii to Postscript Utility, First Entry
# ----------------------------------------------
ps_sink|Postscript:\
  :lp=/dev/ttya:\
  :br#9600:\
  :ms=raw,ixon,decctlq:\
  :sd=/usr/spool/ps:\
  :lf=/dev/console:

#
# psf3: Ascii to Postscript Utility Entries.  Added: 11-Jan-95, icq
# -----------------------------------------------------------------
#
#
ps_sink1|Postscript:\
  :lp=/dev/ttya:\
  :br#9600:\
  :ms=-parity,onlcr,ixon,decctlq:\
  :sd=/usr/spool/ps:\
  :lf=/dev/console: \
  :mx=2048:

The first entry is for a dumb dot matrix and is a 'vanilla' entry. The
texlp entry is to get laserjet formatted dvi files out of the machine in
as transparent a manner as possible, with lpr aliased to lpr -hl -Ptexlp
to stop headers and other stuff. The last two are for the psf3
postscript converter to drive an old Dec lno3R.

Hope this helps...

Rgrds, Chris